WHAT IS A NECK LIFT PROCEDURE?
Some people as they gain weight tend to collect fat in the upper part of the neck. It is a very commonly requested for Neck Lift Procedure and is often added on when doing other procedures.
Even with old age there can be a collection of fat and loosening of skin in the upper part of neck behind the chin. This shows up as what is commonly referred to as a Double chin.
There are two components to this deformity. It could be an isolated collection of fat alone as seen in younger individuals or could be because of lax musculature also, along with the fat deposition.
In younger individuals, a liposuction alone should be enough but older patients may require a tightening of the skin and/or muscle along with a liposuction, to give good results. If only liposuction is done no significant scarring is seen but, in the case where muscle tightening has to be done, there is a 2 inch scar just behind the chin in the upper neck.
In recent years instead of skin resection to correct the excess and to prevent scarring, we use Thread Neck Lift as a minimally invasive procedure to address the excess skin. This leaves no scars and gives pretty decent results lasting for 4-5 years. Instead of thread we could use barbed ribbons called the Ribbon Lift which promises longer lasting results.
Neck Lift Recovery
Post operatively, the patient is required to wear a chin strap / Neck Lift Garment (a pressure garment). This will help the skin shrink and give the necessary tightness to the skin to give a nice angle between the jaw and the neck.
Neck Lift Risks
No significant problems are expected in neck lift procedure except maybe the scar and the skin remaining loose if proper pressure garments are not used. Rarely some nerve injuries may occur but these recover in a few weeks’ time.
Prepare for your Neck Lift
- Make an initial consultation with your Surgeon. Discuss why you want the procedure done, Openly! We want to know why!
- Discuss any medications your taking with the surgeon.
- Discuss a procedure date and plan for work and holidays. Remember you need reshaping time of two –three months.
- Book your procedure date
- Pay your deposit to book your date (IMPORTANT) because then we know your serious and we get booked out very fast!
- Have your blood tests done and sent to your clinic for the surgeon to check over
- The night before you will most probably be fasting so relax and follow your surgeons instructions
- Drink plenty of water and keep hydrated before your fasting period
- Get a good night’s sleep don’t be worried. You chose us to look after you!
- Shower and make sure you get to the center with ample time so the surgeon can prepare you for your marking and procedure.
- Download print and fill the consent form (link) and bring it with you.
- Drink alcohol or caffeine at least 48 hours before
- Take any blood thinning medications, such as Aspirin or Advil.
- Be nervous you are in safe and experienced hands!
- Arrive at the clinic on time
- Listen to staff instructions
- Stay relaxed
- Settle into your day care room and take before pictures for reference
- Practice breathing – to relax this will prepare you for your pain management
- The surgeon will discuss the target areas with you before taking you into the day care center. He/She will explain any restrictions if there may be.
- Areas for fat removal will be marked with a surgical marker pen.
- The admin staff will go over your consent form and you make the payments
What happens during the procedure
- You will be taken into a clean and sterile OT environment with sterilized instruments.
- The surgeon and his team will check your detail whilst in the OT before the procedure.
- The pain management team will provide you with pain relief according to the treatment plan and the procedure will start.
- Your procedure will take place and finish within the allotted time.
- You will be able to see your extracted fat and measure the amount collected
- You will be moved back to recovery and you will stay till you have recovered fully, eaten something and you are settled.
- The team will look after you till you are ready to leave in the evening
- The surgeon will check up on you.
- You will be given prescription medicines and instructions for your fast recovery.
- walk around and be active as soon as you can on the same day of the procedure
- drink lots of water and be hydrated
- take a shower after 3 days of the procedure
- WEAR your Pressure garment for up to 12 weeks this is imperative for swelling to go down and help with the reshaping of your body
- Come in for follow ups with your surgeon
- be idle
- feel like you’ve had a big procedure and think you need ‘rest’
- not wear you’re the pressure garment.
- drive or operate heavy machinery, lift heavy objects or strain within 2 days of your procedure
- smoke or drink alcohol
What happens next…
- Although neck lift is a lifestyle procedure it is still a surgical procedure so along with rest and rehydration its imperative that you allow your body to heal in its own time
- You will see results straight away but swelling will set in soon. In lieu of the fat removed fluid fills in its space to heal so you need to wear yourpressure garment to move the fluid out and pass it in your urine.
- Full results are seen after 8-12 weeks but the surgery is only the beginning you need to look after it just like anything else.
- Follow all after care procedures, you will be taught massages and how to wear your ‘faja’/ Pressure garment
- After your complete healing period. We look forward to seeing you at your last check up, More body confident and happy! (We are happy to do a photoshoot for you to show off your new curves)