GYNAECOMASTIA OR MAN BOOBS
MAN BOOBS WEIGHING YOU DOWN??????
In some boys during puberty and adolescence, breasts develop to notable sizes. About 80 % boys develop gynecomastiaduring puberty, and out of these about 80 % carry it into adulthood.
Gynecomastia surgery can be a cause of psychological problems and causes the boys to be embarrassed to remove their clothing in front of others or while playing contact sports, swimming or when they move to a hostel environment.
Gynecomastia is commonly called as Man Boobs, may be of the glandular or fatty type. The glandular type is usually present beneath the nipple and areola, the fatty type being more diffusely spread. Usually both types are present in varying combinations.
Gynecomastia treatment is most often sought because of psychological trauma and cosmetic reasons. Rarely there may be pain in the glandular element causing them to seek treatment (True Gynecomastia).
Gynecomastia surgery is done almost exclusively using Liposuction nowadays. Gynecomastia treatment is done via a small 1cm incision on the sides of the chest. The fat is sucked out and the glandular element can be broken up and sucked out through the same incision. Very rarely when the glandular element is large then it is removed from a small incision in the areola.
In some cases of extreme weight loss or large gynecomastia(link), additional procedures for skin reduction may have to be added on.
Dr.Surindher does not use drains in Gynecomastia surgeries since the last 15 years, except in large glandular ones.
After surgery a compression vest gynecomastia is needed, to help the skin shrink back. Varying degrees of swelling could persist for 3 – 4 months.
Post Gynecomastia Operation
After gynecomastia surgery compression garment is mandatory to achieve the sbest results.
Risks of Gynecomastia Surgery
Gynecomastia surgery is a relatively safe procedure with no major side effects.
Sometimes over enthusiastic excision is done by improperly trained surgeons leading to a dish deformity or saucer deformity, where the skin is thinned so much that it sticks to the muscle producing a very flat and deformed chest wall.
The aim of correction in this procedure is to achieve a skin fold thickness in conformity with the rest of the body and not to flatten it out too much.
Prepare for your Gynecomastia
- Make an initial consultation with your Surgeon. Discuss why you want the procedure done, Openly! We want to know why!
- Discuss any medications your taking with the surgeon.
- Discuss a procedure date and plan for work and holidays. Remember you need reshaping time of two –three months.
- Book your procedure date
- Pay your deposit to book your date (IMPORTANT) because then we know your serious and we get booked out very fast!
- Have your blood tests done and sent to your clinic for the surgeon to check over
- The night before you will most probably be fasting so relax and follow your surgeons instructions
- Drink plenty of water and keep hydrated before your fasting period
- Get a good night’s sleep don’t be worried. You chose us to look after you!
- Shower and make sure you get to the center with ample time so the surgeon can prepare you for your marking and procedure.
- Download print and fill the consent form (link) and bring it with you.
- smoke for about two weeks before and three weeks after the procedure
- Drink alcohol or caffeine at least 48 hours before
- Take any blood thinning medications, such as Aspirin or Advil.
- Be nervous you are in safe and experienced hands!
- Be involved in high impact exercises or activities.
- Arrive at the clinic on time
- Listen to staff instructions
- Stay relaxed
- Settle into your day care room and take before pictures for reference
- Practice breathing – to relax this will prepare you for your pain management
- The surgeon will discuss the target areas with you before taking you into the day care center. He/She will explain any restrictions if there may be.
- Areas for fat removal will be marked with a surgical marker pen.
- The admin staff will go over your consent form and you make the payments
What happens during the procedure
- You will be taken into a clean and sterile OT environment with sterilized instruments.
- The surgeon and his team will check your detail whilst in the OT before the procedure.
- The pain management team will provide you with pain relief according to the treatment plan and the procedure will start.
- Your procedure will take place and finish within the allotted time.
- You will be able to see your extracted fat and measure the amount collected
- You will be moved back to recovery and you will stay till you have recovered fully, eaten something and you are settled.
- The team will look after you till you are ready to leave in the evening
- The surgeon will check up on you.
- You will be given prescription medicines and instructions for your fast recovery.
- walk around and be active as soon as you can on the same day of the procedure
- drink lots of water and be hydrated
- take a shower after 3 days of the procedure
- We do not use drains but If rare cases of large grade gynaecomastia, drains are kept then they need to be removed after 24-36 hours.
- Come in for follow ups with your surgeon
- Use the creams and pressure garments as advised.
- Eat healthy
- be idle
- Drive first two days
- feel like you’ve had a big procedure and think you need ‘rest’
- drive or operate heavy machinery, lift heavy objects or strain within 2 days of your procedure
- smoke or drink alcohol
What happens next…
- Although Gynaecomastia correction is a lifestyle procedure it is still a surgical procedure so along with rest and rehydration its imperative that you allow your body to heal in its own time
- You will see results straight away but swelling will set in soon. In lieu of the fat removed fluid fills in its space to heal so you need to wear your pressure garment to move the fluid out and pass it in your urine.
- Full results are seen after 8-12 weeks but the surgery is only the beginning you need to look after it just like anything else.
- Follow all after care procedures, you will be taught massages and how to wear your ‘faja’/ Pressure garment
- After your complete healing period. We look forward to seeing you at your last check up, More body confident and happy!
LATEST UPDATES & NEWS
Aesthetics Plus © 2019 | All Rights Reserved.
Suite 213, 2nd Floor, EVA Mall, 60, Brigade Road, Bangalore- 560025
Landline : 080-49554075