CALF OR LEG CONTOURING
The curvature of the medial or inner part of the leg gives a nice shape to the leg as a whole and a good distinction between the calf and the ankles accentuates this.
Many patients present with the problem of feeling uncomfortable wearing short dresses because of embarrassment about their legs will be it in short skirts or shorts, as their legs and calves are either too thin or too thick.
Skinny legs¬†are treated by augmentation with implants or¬†AFT, while thick legs are treated by¬†liposculpture.
Skinny legs usually occur because the calf muscle is deficient or not as well developed. Usually it is the medial (inner) component which is more involved as it gives the bulk and contour to the leg.¬†The calves can be augmented using either own fat (AFT) or via implants.
Calf Augmentation using Autologous Fat Transfer¬†is done when diffused enlargement is needed and if even the ankles are skinny.
Usually Calf Enlargement is done under sedation plus local anaesthesia or a regional block
Calf Enlargement Procedure
The Calf Implantation Procedure was developed by Dr Aiache in the US.
This is performed by inserting an implant (calf growth implants). The incision is behind the knee within the knee fold, from where the implant is inserted. Because of the deep positioning there is no implant show.
The implant size and shape have to be assessed pre operatively after measuring the leg, which will give an idea about the size. Like a breast implant the volume of the implant has to be decided according to the skin quality and the size of the leg.
Too big an implant might compromise the blood supply to the skin or the leg as a whole. In women usually a single implant on the medial side gives adequate results where as in men two implants for the medial(inner) and lateral(outer) sides is required the medial being larger than the lateral.
The patient needs to take rest for a week following the¬†Calf Enlargement¬†surgery, though they are ambulated the same day. One has to wear heels for the next three weeks
Pain and discomfort slowly decrease over the next 2 ‚Äď 3 days and can be up and about for all routine activities, around a week after surgery.
Running is avoided till around three weeks after surgery.
Scars usually heal without much problem as they are in the skin crease.
It is usually a very well tolerated procedure if the pre-operative planning has been done properly and the implants are the right size for the leg.
If too big implants are used or if too many in a tight leg, it may lead to problems like extrusion of the implant or a compartment syndrome which is basically like stuffing too many people into a small windowless room.
Liposuction¬†is ideal for patients with thick legs. Here the smooth curves of the leg are lost and the leg looks like a¬†‚Äútree trunk legs‚ÄĚ¬†with no distinction between the upper and lower leg, also known in many circles as ‚Äúcankles‚Äú.
Reshaping /¬†liposculpting¬†of the leg involves bringing out the muscular shape of the leg so that the gentle curve from the calf down to the ankle is seen, broad in the upper third and thinner at the ankle.
This is carried out under anaesthesia preferably. The shaping must be performed all around the leg, through small incisions at the front / back of the ankle and front / back of the knee. The patient needs to wear compression stockings for three to four weeks following surgery. The bruising usually subsides by two weeks, but swelling resolves slowly over three months.
Calf enlargement Problems
Well tolerated procedure. The problems usually are of unevenness and ridges seen in the leg in the initial periods. But, with massages and as the swelling subsides these ridges also settle down.
Rarely there might be a need to refine these ridges with a session of superficial¬†liposuction¬†usually a minor procedure.
Prepare for your Calf Enlargement
- Make an initial consultation with your Surgeon. Discuss why you want the procedure done, Openly! We want to know why!
- Discuss any medications your taking with the surgeon.
- Discuss a procedure date and plan for work and holidays. Remember you need healing time of 3 months for complete healing.
- Book your procedure date
- Pay your deposit to book your date (IMPORTANT) because then we know your serious and we get booked out very fast!
- Have your blood tests done and sent to your clinic for the surgeon to check over
- The night before you will most probably be fasting so relax and follow your surgeons instructions
- Drink plenty of water and keep hydrated before your fasting period
- Get a good night’s sleep don‚Äôt be worried. You chose us to look after you!
- Shower and make sure you get to the center with ample time so the surgeon can prepare you for your marking and procedure.
- Download print and fill the consent form (link) and bring it with you.
- smoke for about two weeks before and three weeks after the procedure
- Drink alcohol or caffeine at least 48 hours before
- Take any blood thinning medications, such as Aspirin or Advil.
- Be nervous you are in safe and experienced hands!
- Be involved in high impact exercises or activities.
- Arrive at the clinic on time
- Listen to staff instructions
- Stay relaxed
- Settle into your day care room and take before pictures for reference
- Practice breathing ‚Äď to relax this will prepare you for your pain management
- The surgeon will discuss the target areas with you before taking you into the day care center. He/She will explain any restrictions if there may be.
- Areas for fat removal will be marked with a surgical marker pen.
- The admin staff will go over your consent form and you make the payments
What happens during the procedure
- You will be taken into a clean and sterile OT environment with sterilized instruments.
- The surgeon and his team will check your detail whilst in the OT before the procedure.
- The pain management team will provide you with pain relief according to the treatment plan and the procedure will start.
- Your procedure will take place and finish within the allotted time.
- You will be able to see your extracted fat and measure the amount collected
- You will be moved back to recovery and you will stay till you have recovered fully, eaten something and you are settled.
- The team will look after you till you are ready to leave in the evening
- The surgeon will check up on you.
- You will be given prescription medicines and instructions for your fast recovery.
- walk around and be active as soon as you can on the same day of the procedure
- Only wear Heels for the next few weeks.
- drink lots of water and be hydrated
- take a shower after removal of the dressing after 4 days from the procedure Care of the suture line as advised.
- Come in for follow ups with your surgeon
- Use the creams and oils and meds as advised.
- Eat healthy
- be idle but don‚Äôt argue shout or fight.
- Drive first four days
- feel like you‚Äôve had a big procedure and think you need ‚Äėrest‚Äô
- drive or operate heavy machinery, lift heavy objects or strain within 2 days of your procedure
- smoke or drink alcohol
- Run for the first few weeks. Give it time to heal.
What happens next‚Ä¶
- Although calf surgery is a lifestyle procedure it is still a surgical procedure so along with rest and rehydration its imperative that you allow your body to heal in its own time
- the changes noticed immediately but full & final results are seen after 3-4 months as tissues heal. So look after it just like anything else.
- Follow all after care procedures, you will be taught how to oil and massage the nose to aid healing.
- After your complete healing period. We look forward to seeing you at your last check up, More body confident and happy!