WHAT IS BUTTOCK AUGMENTATION?
Sudden weight loss, improper development of the buttocks and ageing may give a flat appearance to the gluteal area. Even some medications can lead to a loss of fat in the gluteal region.
In cases where the loss is too much, and there is not much lax skin, the contours can be improved by an augmentation. Augmentation can be done using Autologous Fat Transfer (AFT) or Silicone Implants. Both women and men undergo buttock augmentation.
In men the position of the implant placement is a little higher as compared to women.
The “Brazilian buttock augmentation” is actually transfer of fat from other areas into the buttocks (AFT) which helps in giving volume to the buttocks and hence a lift as well.
Brazilian Butt Lift Procedure:
As mentioned before the Brazilian butt lift is basically an autologous fat grafting procedure to the buttocks. The fat is harvested from the lower back or abdomen, filtered, concentrated and injected back into the buttocks using a closed system. The advantages of AFT being that we are using one’s own fat. Second and more importantly advantage is that fat can be injected into the areas where the augmentation is needed whereas in implant they have to placed in specific pockets. The disadvantage is that not all the fat survives and sometimes a second procedure may be required to achieve desired volumes.
Buttock Augmentation With Implants
To improve the contours implants may be used, when either not enough fat is present or there is a need for specific areas of augmentation. The Implant maybe placed in two pockets viz. the sub cutaneous / sub fascial pocket or the sub/intra muscular pocket.
The Buttock Augmentation approach is from the midline, with the patient in prone position going in between the gluteal folds. A plane is created on either side. The implant can be placed subcutaneously just under the skin and fat but above the muscle or intra muscularly, which is placement under the muscle fibers.
If the patient has enough subcutaneous fat then a subcutaneous implant can be inserted, but if the subcutaneous fat is less, an intra muscular placement is better so that the implant does not show. But the intra or sub muscular implant is usually smaller and gives better upper pole fullness – “Bubble butt”.
Similarly, if a patient is lean and thin and has a good lower pole fullness but flat upper pole, a sub muscular placement would give good results. But, if they are well built and need a more generalized or middle and lateral fullness then a sub fascial pocket is better.
Buttock Augmentation Recovery
Recovery time and pain are more in the sub muscular placement.
Post-operative care is very important in buttock augmentation. The patient is usually prone for a week, sleeping on the tummy. Routine activities can be started after a day or two depending on his or her comfort.
No strenuous activity for around two to three weeks at least.
Till around 2-3 weeks, the patient has to sit on soft pillows and not on hard surfaces. A graded return to activity is preferred.
Buttock Augmentation Risks
Planning, planning and planning are the three major pre requisites for a buttock augmentation more than anywhere else in the body.
There are a lot many variations that can happen and realistic expectations are a must and will be guided by your bodily proportions and bony structure.
Displacement and rotation are important factors to consider in buttock implants. When done by untrained surgeons and more so when anatomical or tear drop shaped implants are used, chances of rotation and displacement are there.
The major problem that can occur is implant rejection. So the initial healing period is very important.
In the later stages, care should be taken not to get any Intramuscular injections in the buttocks.
A compression garment after buttock augmentation is a must for the next few weeks.
Prepare for your Buttock Augmentation
- Make an initial consultation with your Surgeon. Discuss why you want the procedure done, Openly! All the options and the results will be discussed with you.
- Discuss any medications your taking with the surgeon.
- Discuss a procedure date and plan for work and holidays. Remember you need healing time of 3 months for complete healing.
- Book your procedure date
- Pay your deposit to book your date (IMPORTANT) because then we know your serious and we get booked out very fast!
- Have your blood tests done and sent to your clinic for the surgeon to check over
- The night before you will most probably be fasting so relax and follow your surgeons instructions
- Drink plenty of water and keep hydrated before your fasting period
- Get a good night’s sleep don’t be worried. You chose us to look after you!
- Shower and make sure you get to the center with ample time so the surgeon can prepare you for your marking and procedure.
- Download print and fill the consent form (link) and bring it with you.
- smoke for about two weeks before and three weeks after the procedure
- Drink alcohol or caffeine at least 48 hours before
- Take any blood thinning medications, such as Aspirin or Advil.
- Be nervous you are in safe and experienced hands!
- Be involved in high impact exercises or activities.
- Arrive at the clinic on time
- Listen to staff instructions
- Stay relaxed
- Settle into your day care room and take before pictures for reference
- Practice breathing – to relax this will prepare you for your pain management
- The surgeon will discuss the target areas with you before taking you into the day care center. He/She will explain any restrictions if there may be.
- Areas for fat removal will be marked with a surgical marker pen.
- The admin staff will go over your consent form and you make the payments
What happens during the procedure
- You will be taken into a clean and sterile OT environment with sterilized instruments.
- The surgeon and his team will check your detail whilst in the OT before the procedure.
- The pain management team will provide you with pain relief according to the treatment plan and the procedure will start.
- Your procedure will take place and finish within the allotted time.
- You will be able to see your extracted fat and measure the amount collected
- You will be moved back to recovery and you will stay till you have recovered fully, eaten something and you are settled.
- The team will look after you till you are ready to leave in the evening
- The surgeon will check up on you.
- You will be given prescription medicines and instructions for your fast recovery.
- walk around and be active as soon as you can on the same day of the procedure
- Only sleep on the tummy for the next few weeks.
- drink lots of water and be hydrated
- take a shower after removal of the dressing after 4 days from the procedure Care of the suture line as advised.
- Come in for follow ups with your surgeon
- Use the creams and oils and meds as advised.
- Eat healthy
- Sleep on your back
- be idle but don’t argue shout or fight.
- Drive first four days
- feel like you’ve had a big procedure and think you need ‘rest’
- drive or operate heavy machinery, lift heavy objects or strain within 2 days of your procedure
- smoke or drink alcohol
- Run for the first few weeks. Give it time to heal.
What happens next…
- Although butt surgery is a lifestyle procedure it is still a surgical procedure so along with rest and rehydration its imperative that you allow your body to heal in its own time
- the changes noticed immediately but full & final results are seen after 3-4 months as tissues heal. So look after it just like anything else.
- Full results are seen after 8-12 weeks but the surgery is only the beginning you need to look after it just like anything else.
- Follow all after care procedures. Keep your implant guarantee card in a safe place
- After your complete healing period. We look forward to seeing you at your last check up, More body confident and happy!
LATEST UPDATES & NEWS
Aesthetics Plus © 2019 | All Rights Reserved.
Suite 213, 2nd Floor, EVA Mall, 60, Brigade Road, Bangalore- 560025
Landline : 080-49554075