Brazilian Butt Lift
What is Brazilian Butt Lift?
Brazilian Butt lift or BBL is a term given to the process of Fat grafting to the buttocks to give it a better shape and thereby producing a lift of the sagging buttock because of the increase in volume. Hence the term “lift”.
Why Brazilian Butt Lift?
With ageing and weight loss, the fat component of the butt decreases.
Also, because of gravity pulling on the butt tissues, the butt tends to sag and most of the volume is concentrated in the lower half or 1/3rd of the butt which makes it look flat and unappealing.
Buttock volume can be increased either with the use of implants or volume replacement with fat.
Sagging or flat buttocks changes the contours of the body and the clothes don’t fit well. The distinction between the butt and the lower back is lost which accentuates the problem.
In some cultures a buttocks are the sign of femininity and hence enhancement if sought for cultural reasons.
Most of the times, the BBL is combined with other procedures like a lower back lipo or an abdominoplasty to give a better “Waist Hip Ratio” or better ‘body curves’ in layman’s terms.
Procedure of a Butt Lift
The BBL procedure involves liposuction from the donor areas usually the abdomen and lower back or sometimes the thighs.
The fat is harvested and decanted to remove the fluid component and is injected back into the butt. The injections are done using a “multiple droplet” technique to ensure survival of the fat and in multiple layers.
Previously the fat injections were done in all layers including within the muscle and subcutaneous planes. But, in the recent years with extensive studies and the increased incidences of deaths due to fat embolism in the west, guidelines for Fat grafting have changed to allow ONLY subcutaneous injection of the fat.
Also when too much quantity of fat is injected it is found that the fat dissects into tissue planes and the rate of complications increased. Hence, the revised guidelines state to do it in sub cutaneous planes and to do multiple sittings rather than larger volumes in one go.
Problems associated with BBL
1. Need a donor area with sufficient fat deposits for a harvest
2. If larger volumes required, need multiple procedures.
3. Some of the fat doesnt survive.
4. Rare but documented problem of Fat embolism.
5. Cannot lie on the back for three weeks.
Prepare for your Brazilian Butt Lift
- Make an initial consultation with your Surgeon. Discuss why you want the procedure done, Openly! We want to know why!
- Discuss any medications your taking with the surgeon.
- Discuss a procedure date and plan for work and holidays. Remember you need reshaping time of two â€“three months.
- Book your procedure date
- Pay your deposit to book your date (IMPORTANT) because then we know your serious and we get booked out very fast!
- Have your blood tests done and sent to your clinic for the surgeon to check over
- The night before you will most probably be fasting so relax and follow your surgeons instructions
- Drink plenty of water and keep hydrated before your fasting period
- Get a good nightâ€™s sleep donâ€™t be worried. You chose us to look after you!
- Shower and make sure you get to the center with ample time so the surgeon can prepare you for your marking and procedure.
- Download print and fill the consent form (link) and bring it with you.
- smoke for about two weeks before and three weeks after the procedure
- Drink alcohol or caffeine at least 48 hours before
- Take any blood thinning medications, such as Aspirin or Advil.
- Be nervous you are in safe and experienced hands!
- Be involved in high impact exercises or activities.
- Arrive at the clinic on time
- Listen to staff instructions
- Stay relaxed
- Settle into your day care room and take before pictures for reference
- Practice breathing â€“ to relax this will prepare you for your pain management
- The surgeon will discuss the target areas with you before taking you into the day care center. He/She will explain any restrictions if there may be.
- Areas for fat removalÂ and the areas to be augmented will be marked with a surgical marker pen.
- The admin staff will go over your consent form and you make the payments
What happens during the procedure
- You will be taken into a clean and sterile OT environment with sterilized instruments.
- The surgeon and his team will check your detail whilst in the OT before the procedure.
- The pain management team will provide you with pain relief according to the treatment plan and the procedure will start.
- Your procedure will take place and finish within the allotted time.
- You will be able to see your extracted fat and measure the amount collected
- You will be moved back to recovery and you will stay till you have recovered fully, eaten something and you are settled.
- The team will look after you till you are ready to leave in the evening
- The surgeon will check up on you.
- You will be given prescription medicines and instructions for your fast recovery.
- walk around and be active as soon as you can on the same day of the procedure
- drink lots of water and be hydrated
- take a shower after removal of the dressing after 4 days from the procedure or as advised.
- Care of the suture line as advised.
- Come in for follow ups with your surgeon
- Use the creams and oils and meds as advised.
- Eat healthy
- be idle but donâ€™t argue shout or fight.
- Drive first two days
- feel like youâ€™ve had a big procedure and think you need â€˜restâ€™
- drive or operate heavy machinery, lift heavy objects or strain within 2 days of your procedure
- smoke or drink alcohol
What happens nextâ€¦
- Although a BBL is a lifestyle procedure it is still a surgical procedure so along with rest and rehydration its imperative that you allow your body to heal in its own time
- the increase in size noticed immediately but full & final results are seen after 3-4 months as tissues heal. So look after it just like anything else.
- Follow all after care procedures, you will be taught how to oil and massage the breasts to aid healing.
- After your complete healing period. We look forward to seeing you at your last check up, More body confident and happy!
Submit your review