Autologus Fat Grafting
WHAT IS Autologus Fat Grafting?
Autologous Fat grafting is a procedure to extract, concentrate and reinject fat cells from a person for volume enhancement or for its anti ageing effect.
Autologous Fat grafting or just Fat Grafting can be done to:
1. to the face. (tear trough, cheeks and forehead)
2. to the breasts. (Scarless Breast Augmentation)
3. to the Buttocks. (Brazilian Butt Lift)
4. to the Calves
5. to correct contour deformities
6. for Penis enlargement
7. for scars and melasma.
Why Autologus Fat Grafting?
Whenever there is volume loss that happens with ageing, we need to replace volume in the body. This can be replaced using implants or fillers (manufactured).
But fat, is a readily available “Filler” material that is available in the body and is natural, is one’s own tissue so doesn’t cause reactions or rejections.
Hence in the last few years Fat has gained popularity as the first choice of material for volume enhancement.
The advantages of Fat don’t stop there. With increase in understanding of the processes involved in fat survival and transfer, the longevity of the fat grafting has increased. And, since this is living tissue, the benefits are more as it brings in more blood supply to the area which is the effect we take into use for the Anti ageing results of AFT.
The fat once it survives, also improves the texture of the overlying skin, reduces pigmentation and allows for new collagen production as well.
Pro’s & Con’s of AFT:
1. Natural, Readily Available
2. Own Tissue
3. No reactions or rejections
4. Relatively unlimited supply*
5. Brings in more blood supply
6. Helps rejuvenate the area
7. Minimal Scarring
1. Needs a Minor or Major surgical procedure to harvest.
2.Cannot put large volumes at one go
3. Takes about 3 months for survival
4. Rarely can calcify to produce nodules.
AFT is fast becoming one of the major impact procedures in aesthetic as well as reconstructive surgery.
Be it for elective augmentations or post cancer reconstructions.
Another important aspet of AFT is the presence of Mesenchymal Stem Cells in the “SVF” (Stromal Vascualr fraction) of the harvested fat.
This helps in survival of the fat cells better and improves the long term outcomes of fat grafting. This is the reason why, now we do not “Wash” the fat before reinjecting it into the body.
Nowadays, we also isolate and concentrate the “Stem Cells” also known as ” Mesenchymal Stem Cells” which are used in various therapies and for patients where the fat volume is low.
Prepare for your Autologus Fat Grafting
- Make an initial consultation with your Surgeon. Discuss why you want the procedure done, Openly! We want to know why!
- Discuss any medications your taking with the surgeon.
- Discuss a procedure date and plan for work and holidays. Remember you need re- shaping time of two –three months.
- Book your procedure date.
- Pay your deposit to book your date (IMPORTANT) because then we know your serious and we get booked out very fast!
- Have your blood tests done and sent to your clinic for the surgeon to check over.
- The night before you will most probably be fasting (if larger volumes) so relax and follow your surgeons instructions
- Drink plenty of water and keep hydrated before your fasting period
- Get a good night’s sleep don’t be worried. You chose us to look after you!
- Shower and make sure you get to the center with ample time so the surgeon can prepare you for your marking and procedure.
- Download print and fill the consent form (link) and bring it with you.
- Drink alcohol or caffeine at least 48 hours before
- Take any blood thinning medications, such as Aspirin or Advil.
- Be nervous you are in safe and experienced hands!
- Arrive at the clinic on time
- Listen to staff instructions
- Stay relaxed
- Settle into your day care room and take before pictures for reference
- Practice breathing – to relax this will prepare you for your pain management
- The surgeons team will visit to do their initial assessments and marking
- The admin staff will go over your consent form and make payments What happens during the procedure
- You will be taken into a clean and sterile OT environment with sterilized instruments.
- The surgeon will discuss the target areas with you before taking you into the day care center.
- He/She will explain any restrictions if there may be.
- Areas for fat removal will be marked with a surgical marker pen.
- The surgeon and his team will check your detail whilst in the OT before the procedure.
- The pain management team will provide you with pain relief according to the treatment plan and the procedure will start.
- Your procedure will take place and finish withi the allotted time.
- You will be able to see your extracted fat and measure the amount collected
- You will be moved back to recovery and you will stay till you have eaten something and your settled.
- The team will look after you till you are ready to leave in the evening
- The surgeon will check up on you.
- You will be given prescription medicines and instructions for your fast recovery.
- walk around and be active as soon as you can on the same day of the procedure
- drink lots of water and be hydrated
- take a shower after 3 days of the procedure
- WEAR your “Faja” for up to 12 weeks this is imperative for swelling to go down and help with the reshaping of your donor site.
- Come in for follow ups with your surgeon
- be idle
- feel like you’ve had a big procedure and think you need ‘rest’
- not wear your ‘faja’
- drive or operate heavy machinery within 2 days of your procedure
- smoke or drink alcohol
What happens next…
- Although liposction & Fat grating is a lifestyle procedure it is still a surgical procedure so along with rest and rehydration its imperative that you allow your body to heal in its own time
- You will see results straight away but need time for the swelling to settle down and fat to survive.
- Full results are seen after 8-12 weeks but the surgery is only the beginning you need to look after it just like anything else.
- Follow all after care procedures, you will be taught massages and how to wear your ‘faja’/ Pressure garment
- After your complete healing period. We look forward to seeing you at your last check up, More body confident and happy!
- (We are happy to do a photoshoot for you to show off your new curves)
Q: Why AestheticsPlus over other centres?
- Over 23 years of experience
- Qualified trained board certified surgeons
- Safety quality & comfort our primary concerns
Q: Is AFT Safe?
- When done by qualified trained plastic surgeons chances of complications are minimized.
- Your pre op assessment and investigations are important to rule out any reasons for potential complications
- Our surgeon will explain what is possible and what is not. Please listen to them as they have your safety at the top of their minds.
Q: What are the chances of an Infection?
- When done properly there should be no reason for any major infections.
- Minor port site or suture line infections may occur sometimes which are usually treated by local treatments and settles down in a few days.
Q: How long does the procedure take?
- The procedure depending on the number of areas targeted, could be between 1-4 hours when done as a day care procedure.
- Larger volumes or Multiple areas are usually done in a hospital with overnight stay.
Q: Will it hurt?
- The procedure is done under regional anaesthesia most of the times. Sometimes general anaesthesia or sedation maybe given. Hence you will not feel any pain during the procedure.
- Post op, the pain is more like an ache as there are no major cuts.
- Wearing the pressure garment helps ease the pain caused because of the swelling.
- The first week we do give you medication for the pain and swelling
Q: Why is it expensive?
- We are not “expensive” in the true sense. We believe in offering quality services at affordable costs.
- Quality staff and quality equipment for your safety are our primary concerns and as we all know quality does come at some price.
- We do not compromise on what needs to be done. We keep the costs affordable by cutting out unnecessary expenditure.
- We have a no compromise policy on equipment, materials and staff.
Q: Why can other places do it cheaper?
- When done by qualified board certified surgeons and anaesthetists, using quality equipment with an emphasis on safety, there will be certain costs involved.
- We DO NOT compromise on what we would do. Quality and safety are topmost on our minds.
- WE DO NOT CUT CORNERS to save on money.
Q: What can I expect from Aesthetics Plus Clinics
- You can expect the highest quality of care
- Board certified doctors
- Caring compassionate staff
- Personalised care
- Good after care and follow ups.